Wowza! This recipe will brighten up a gloomy winter day- VERY easy to make and absolutely delicious! Tangerines are plentiful in the grocery stores right now and this is a great way to use them up! Use this tangerine topping for ice cream (SO YUMMY), pancakes/waffles, sponge cake and whatever else you wish. (My children love it on toast, and just a plain spoonful!) I also think it would be great mixed in with yogurt. It is a ‘no-cook’ method and the topping is stored in your freezer if you want it to keep it for more than three weeks, it probably won’t last that long in my home!
4 cups of chopped tangerines- remove skin and pith
5 1/2 cups sugar
1 box of sure-jell
3/4 cup waterDirections: (This was so simple)
- Place chopped tangerines and sugar into a large bowl or pot. (You are not cooking this topping, this will go straight into your freezer afterwards)
- Stir every few minutes for about ten minutes.
- Place 3/4 of water and the box of sure-jell into a sauce pan on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Pour the sure-jell mixture into the tangerine and sugar mixture and stir until all the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Ladle into freezer containers, seal, and freeze up to 6 months.
- The topping will keep for quite a awhile in the fridge, when looking at syrup recipes it said three weeks, but I am going to say about two weeks for the chunky topping.
- Yield: I got two quart-sized mason jars and two- pint sized jars with this recipe.