These are great little lotion bars! I’ve only recently started making beauty products again at home. Every time I make something, I find myself wondering why I don’t do this all the time! These DIY Mini Rose-infused lotion bars with frankincense and sweet orange oils are the perfect size to store in a tin and keep in your purse!
Why I love them:
Easy to keep on hand while on the go.
They can double as a lip balm.
They’re infused with herbal goodness, so not only are they skin-softening, but you get the benefits of herbal and essential oil properties.
They’re versatile- once you get the basic recipe down, the possibilities are endless on different varieties. I’m thinking of a muscle soother one for sore muscles, a “calming” kiddo one that can be applied when kiddos need to calm down, and maybe one that repels insects for those warm summer days!
They are much cheaper to make at home than to buy in the stores. Who doesn’t like to save money, right?
They make awesome gifts! Everyone loves a little pampering, these lotion bars leave your skin feeling oh so soft and with herbs and essential oils, you know they’re good for you!
What you need:
3/4 cup Shea Butter
3/4 cup Coconut Oil
5 tablespoons beeswax
1 cup Dried rosebuds
Orange Essential Oil
Frankincense Essential Oil
- Making an infused oil with dried herbs is very easy. Simply combine your base oils (Coconut and shea) in a saucepan with the dried herb. (rosebuds) Heat on LOW until all the oils have melted and are warm. DO NOT simmer or boil– this can damage the precious properties we are after in the roses.
- Once your oils are melted and warmed, take the saucepan off the heat and let it sit for around 15-20 minutes. This give the rosebuds time to infuse the oil.
- Strain the oils through cheesecloth and wrap up the remaining rosebuds in the cheese cloth, squeezing out the oil as much as possible.
- Place the strained, infused oil back into the sauce pan with 3-4 tablespoons of beeswax (4 will give a harder bar, 3 will give a bar that melts more quickly to the touch)
- Heat on low till the beeswax pastilles begin to melt. Remove from heat and stir continuously until the wax is completely melted.
- Add 30 drops of orange oil and 15 drops of frankincense. Stir to combine.
- Pour into molds and let cool to solidify. (You can refrigerate the mold to speed up the process)
- Package, label and give as gifts or use! I like to keep a couple by the sink in the bathroom. After I wash my hands, I just pick one up for a few seconds and massage into my hands. They are great for dry patches too, like on elbows or spots with eczema. This particular bar is awesome for chapped lips too.
****I’ve been asked how many ounces this makes- to be honest, I never measured the ounces! It filled 2 of my silicone molds and I had a little leftover that I put in small jar. If I were to guess it’s yield, I would say around 13-14 oz.
****On how long these will last: If kept in a cool, dark place and wrapped, they will last quite a while. One of mine lasted over a year. If you keep it on a dish in open air, I would say not more than 6 weeks, as the fragrance will most likely dissapate over time.