Summer days have officially arrived in my state and boy, it is HOT! That means we will need extra liquids, especially when we are outside, and these are my family’s favorite ways to stay hydrated and cool. Here are three healthy drinks for summer hydration the whole family will love!
*This post contains affiliate links.
Choose Healthy Drinks for Summer!
My kids ate popsicles constantly through the Summer last year and I realized that they needed better hydration options. We’ve always stocked lemonade, tang, and instant ice tea through the summers but I just didn’t want them consuming so much sugar.
I didn’t have the heart to take away the popsicles but I did start searching for healthy, delicious drinks that we could make at home that were low in sugar but big on hydrating qualities. Below, you’ll find three of our favorites for replenishing lost fluids and staying cool!
Healthy Drinks Recipe #1 – Iced Lime & Passion Tea
This icy drink is inspired by Starbucks Passion Tea, it’s fruity, thirst-quenching, and oh so good for you!
My kids LOVE this tea and ask for it often so I stock up on Tazo Passion Tea Bags before the heat arrives to make sure I can make it on demand.
You can make this tea by the pitcher, but we love making it in mason jars for a quick tea we each can take outside with us.
- Tazo Passion tea bags, 1 for each 32 oz. Jar
- Lime juice
- Stevia drops (We use trader joes brand)
- Lots of ice
- Fill a mason jar 1/3 full of ice.
- Add about 1/4 cup of lime juice
- Add 1.5 droppers full of liquid stevia drops
- Fill the jar the rest of the way up to the neck with water.
- Add 1 passion tea bag to steep.
- Seal with a lid and straw. (We found these sets on Amazon and they work perfectly!)
- We leave the teabag in while sipping. The kids call it “magic tea” and watch it change color!
Healthy Drinks Recipe #2 – Lemon Chia Water
This drink is super hydrating and also a great source of protein and fiber.
Only 2 of my kids like it, so if you have kiddos with texture issues, they may not like this but you can easily omit the chia seeds for them and give them the drink plain.
I love this drink and love how I feel when I’m drinking it regularly. I usually drink one per day, sometimes two!
- Lemon juice
- Stevia drops
- Chia seeds
- fresh mint leaves
- Fill a 32 oz. mason jar with cold water up to about 1/2 inch under the neck.
- Add lemon juice, about 1/8 cup.
- Add 1.5-2 droppers full of stevia drops.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chia seeds, and stir to combine.
- Let the drink rest for about 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to absorb liquid and soften.
- Add ice, and mint leaves if you like, and enjoy!
Healthy Drinks Recipe # 3 – Cherry Lime Cooler
In the winter, my kiddos drink cups and cups of hot cherry tea. They love it!
In the summer, we mix it with lime or lemon juice and serve it with lots of ice for a refreshing cooling drink!
- 2 Cherry tea bags (we use Celestial Seasonings brand)
- 1/4 cup Lemon or Lime juice
- 1 droppers full of Stevia drops
- Fill a 32 oz. mason jar with water to about 3 inches underneath the neck.
- Add tea bags, lime juice, and stevia. Let steep for about 10 minutes.
- Fill the jar the rest of the way up with ice. Enjoy!
Creating Healthy Drinks is easy on the budget too!
One of the things I like most about these drinks is how easy on the budget they are! Bottled lemon and lime juices are super cheap at the grocery store.
Stevia drops last a long time because a little goes a long way. Chia seeds can be bought in bulk on Amazon.
Just one box of tea bags costs only approximately $3 and will make at least 24 large drinks!