Summer squash is one of my favorite side dishes to prepare for the dinner table. It’s quick, takes seasonings very well and is filling. This recipe makes the most delicious roasted summer squash I’ve ever had and it is quick and big on flavor.
Summer squash is a food I always have on hand in my home. During Spring and Summer, I grow it in my garden, in the winter, I buy it at the produce store or I pull it from my dehydrated stash. Dehydrated squash is primarily used in stir frys, sauces and soups. But for this recipe, you will need fresh squash. You can use either green zucchini or yellow squash varieties, I usually choose a combination of both.
Now, I’ve roasted summer squash before and loved it, but then I found a tip online last year that I knew I had to try that only required adding one more ingredient: Italian bread crumbs!
Don’t worry though, it’s easy-peasy. You won’t be standing at the counter breading each individual slice, instead you will mix your seasonings, oil and breadcrumbs as a type of “coating” for the squash slices and then roast them to perfection. Delicious!
How to Make Roasted Summer Squash
First, start by washing and slicing your summer squash and place the slices in a large bowl.
Next, drizzle some olive oil over the squash and gently stir to evenly coat the slices. (I go easy on the oil, you don’t need much at all!)
Third, add your seasonings: I use garlic, paprika, kosher salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. (You can also use nutritional yeast for a vegan option!)
Next, sprinkle in some bread crumbs, I would say for this batch (2 zucchini and 2 yellow squash) I probably sprinkled 3/4 to a cup of bread crumbs in.
Mix everything really well, making sure the slices are coated.
Finally, place the squash on a prepared pan- I like using foil that is sprayed with some nonstick oil for this. I think it make the coating more crispy.
Bake the squash at 425 degrees Fahrenheit until golden and fork tender soft, about 15 minutes or so. Try not to overcook the squash. You want the squash to be a little firm, but where a fork easily pierces it. If your squash is “mushy” then it is overcooked.
Serve alongside your favorite meals. I’ve served this with pasta dishes, salads, rice, meats etc… it really goes with everything!
The Most Delicious Roasted Summer Squash
- 4 whole summer squash, washed and sliced
- 1/8-1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tblsp. garlic, or less if you prefer
- 1/2-1 tblsp. paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- 3/4-1 cup Italian breadcrumbs Italian bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with foil and spray oil of your choice.
- Wash and slice the summer squash and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the squash with oil of choice (I use olive). Go easy! All you need is a light coating of oil on the squash. Gently stir the squash to ensure even coating of oil over all the slices.
- Add garlic, paprika, salt, pepper, Parmesan, and breadcrumbs, gently stir to coat the squash slices.
- Pour the squash out onto the prepared pan and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until golden and fork tender soft.
- Serve immediately with your favorite main dish!