This homemade bulk hot cocoa mix recipe has been in the family for years. I only make it for November through February and my kids look forward to it yearly- we go through a lot!Jump to Recipe
Before making this mix, you will want to make sure that you have a large enough bowl to mix it in, at least 20 quarts, I have one similar to this (aff. link):
You’ll also want to ensure you store your hot cocoa in containers. I have a couple of large food-safe plastic containers I found at the dollar tree that work well for us, and if there is ever any extra, I also store the hot cocoa mix in mason jars.
To make the hot cocoa mix, you’ll need:
- 1 large 64 oz. bag Whole dried milk
- 1 large 60 oz. container of powdered creamer
- 1 32 oz. bag of powdered sugar
- about 3-4 cups of granulated sugar- we like our cocoa less sweet, so feel free to add more if you like it more on the sweet side! ***To test the sweetness level, mix the cocoa ingredients and then make a 1/4 cup of cocoa with water and 1.5 tablespoons of the mix. If you want more sweetness, add sugar by the cup to the large bowl mixing it in and testing it by the above ratio till you get it to the desired sweetness you prefer.
- 2 8 oz. containers of baking cocoa powder
- 2 bags of Mini Chocolate chips if you like it extra “chocolatey” – We have found mini-chocolate chips dissolve more easily in a very hot cup of water or milk. If you use regular-sized chips, I suggest making your cocoa on the stove to fully dissolve them.
Mix it up!
Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and slowly, gently begin to mix them with a slotted spoon. This is important because as you mix so many dry ingredients, you will stir up a lot of “dust”. Trust me when I tell you that this is NOT pleasant to inhale!
Take your time mixing, it will seem like it will never blend, but I promise you that it will! You’ll know it is properly blended when you no longer see white streaks, just an even brown color throughout. Once the cocoa is blended, you can scoop it into your containers and store it on the shelf until ready to use!
To make a cup of cocoa, all you need to do is heat some water or milk and mix it in!
We have larger mugs (about 16 oz.) in our home, so it takes about 3-4 tablespoons of mix to make a cup. Experiment with it to see how you like it in your household!
If you like super creamy hot cocoa, you can swap out water for milk. You can add half and half or even heavy cream to your mug for a real treat. We love this hot cocoa with both water and milk.
We also love adding a pinch of clove or cinnamon to give it a Christmasy flair!
My kids love to add marshmallows and whipped cream with sprinkles too.
Looking for another great mix to keep on hand? Check out my recipe for homemade pancake mix!
Homemade Bulk Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 20-30 quart mixing bowl
- 1 64 oz bag whole dried milk
- 1 60 oz jar powdered creamer
- 1 32 oz. bag powdered sugar
- 3-4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 8 oz. containers of powdered baking cocoa
- 2 bags mini chocolate chips
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, fully incorporating until there are no longer any white streaks in the mix.
- Scoop into containers of choice to store until you are ready to use.
- To Use: add 3-4 tablespoons of the hot cocoa mix to a mug of hot water or milk. Stir until fully blended. Add preferred garnishes such as whipped cream, marshmallow, candy cane dust, or sprinkles! Enjoy!